The days are warm, the sun feels good, and we can forget about that awful snow shovel. It’s time for vacations, barbeques, and warm summer nights. It’s also time for the devil to create all sorts of temptations and traps. The roaring lion is definitely on the prowl (1 Peter 5:8). Here’s a few of them:
- Irresponsibility.We all need a break from normal responsibilities, but does that include our service to Christ? Of course not.The church still depends on your service. Heb.10:23-25.
- Skimpy clothes.For some people any excuse will do to wear as little as possible: shorts that are just too short, tops that don’t leave much to the imagination, etc.You might easily cause someone to stumble, so let’s be careful what we wear.1 Tim.2:9.
- Ignoring brethren while away.We all need fellowship, even on vacation. How interesting it is to visit another congregation, and how refreshing it is to them when brothers and sisters turn up.
- That drink looks refreshing. How many neighbours want to hand you a cold one? And all they seem to have at the company picnic is alcohol!We know better. Bring a soft drink or an Ice Cappuccino, and just tell them you don’t drink. Proverbs 20:1
- Events that tempt. Special summer events abound. While most are harmless, there are parties connected with all of them where indecent, lewd behaviour can easily be seen. Another trap? “Be on the alert.” 1 Pet.5:8
In contrast, the season affords us many opportunities for good. Why not invite neighbours over for a barbeque and show them what a godly family looks like – by your speech, care and joy? Opportunities for good abound in the summer, as well as the devil’s traps. Choose the former and beware of the latter.
– Tim Johnson